beck's blog

Friday, June 13, 2014

Autism Awareness Puzzle Piece Vest

I decided to try out making a vest with the Autism  Awareness Puzzle Pattern I drew up a few years ago.
I also decided to make it in wool, tunisian crocheted, and then felt the whole thing in the washer to make a nice thick, soft, colorful vest.

Here it is. I think you can click on the photos to enlarge them.

 

The front upright on the bench and lying flat.

 

The back on the bench and then lying flat.


Here it is with the outside showing opened up.




 I still need to trim up some of the ends.

I only had so much wool yarn. I thought I had enough but could only make it to fit me pre-washing and shrinking stage. So, after the washing and drying it is an adult size small.
 I am a XXL and this will never fit me. So I am sad.



3 Comments:

  • I think it is beautiful! I LOVE the colors! It's too bad the finished size wont fit, maybe you could donate it to a local Autism chapter as a raffle item or something to raise money. I know it's hard to let your projects go but it would make someone else very happy!

    By Blogger CC, at 5:42 PM  

  • Where can I find the graph pattern? I have a friend whose son is autistic and I would like to make this for her.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:57 AM  

  • Hi, Christen!
    The only pattern for the vest is the puzzle graph I made for the scarf and poncho. I posted the graph in my blog when I did the poncho here...

    http://peskypixie.blogspot.com/2008/05/autism-awareness-puzzle-piece-poncho.html

    Using the graph and the pictures from the vest should give you an idea about how many puzzle pieces you need to make for the two front panels and the back.

    Of course, people are all different sizes and you'll probably need to hold it up to the person who you're making it for as you are crocheting, (or knitting) to make sure it will fit them.

    This would have fit me had I not felted it. I think it would be nice just made from non-wool yarn. Then there would be no worries of shrinking.

    By Blogger Becky, at 6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home