beck's blog

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Mr Pickles' Costume

Last month my niece called me and told me my sister, (her Mom), had just gotten a new dog from a co-worker. A chihuahua named Mr. Pickles.

Well, between her and my other niece's giggling, I managed to understand the true reason for her call.
She wanted me to crochet a pickle costume for Mr. Pickles.
(She'd been looking everywhere for a dog pickle costume but couldn't find one anywhere.) She also wanted his name on the costume.

So, without a clue as to the size of this dog, I jumped into this project whole-heartedly.
(A dog named Mr. Pickles MUST have a pickle costume!)

I finished it and sent it off last week.
I got some photos of the dog from my sister the other day.
(Please click on the photos to enlarge them).

Photobucket Photobucket

Here he is in all his glory. (He looks like the Green Giant's Little Green Sprout. LOL!)

I used Simply Soft yarn in dark green.
I graphed the words "Mr.Pickles" at this Celtic Cross Stitch site with a free graph generator.
Then I tunisian crocheted the Mr Pickles graph with a J-size cabled hook.

Photobucket Photobucket

Here's the back and the underside. See the seem on the underside? That's where I joined the costume by whip-stitching it there.

I then had to make two leg holes by single crocheting with a regular J hook. I had to guess as to the size and just hoped it would fit.

I also made a spiffy vine hat using a green pipecleaner/chenille stem.
Oh, I forgot to mention, I cut green felt circles out and sewed them all over the costume too.

I don't think Mr Pickles will be trick-or-treating this year but maybe he can help answer their door and pass out treats!

1 Comments:

  • Mr. Pickles LOVES his sweater! He would wear all day even in the house if we let him! He is always looking for a blanket to crawl under! Better yet if it has a lap to snuggle into as well!
    Thanks so much for the cool cucumber duds!

    By Blogger CC, at 4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home