beck's blog

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Peace On Earth Afghan

I finished this about a week late but I thought it was still appropriate for a New Year's wish as well as a Christmas sentiment.

I'm calling it my Peace On Earth Afghan. (Please click on the photos to enlarge them).


Photobucket Photobucket


It's about 72 inches by 76 inches. I had to stand on the couch arms to try and fit it all in the shot.

(Sorry about the messy rug. We just moved out my Mother-in-laws things and this room is now empty except for a beat-up couch and we haven't had any time to get the carpet cleaned or anything).

I made four squares. (Two in Bernat's Camouflage Outback yarn and White I Love This Yarn, and two in Bernat's Camouflage Renegade yarn with Antique White I Love This Yarn). Dark Thyme Green TLC Essentials yarn.

The squares were tunisian, (afghan) stitched using a size J cabled afghan hook.
Once they were done I single crocheted around the squares with a J hook about 12 times each.

Then I joined the squares from the back with a running chain stitch. (I'll post the back in a minute).
Then went around the whole afghan with a basketweave stitch - 3 rows of Outback and 3 rows of Dark Thyme Green).


Photobucket Photobucket


Here's a shot of the front next to a shot of the back. You can see the joining seams, (done with Outback).

I got the idea for the peace dove from this dimestoreemporium etsy shop where they are selling pendants with this dove on them.

I wanted to use earthy colors and I had a lot of Camouflage yarn in my stash so it worked out perfect.

So, here's to Peace on Earth in the coming year 2010!
I hope all who are reading this have a peaceful year and the white dove finally does come home to sleep in the sand of wherever you live!!

4 Comments:

  • Happy New Year, Beck.

    Lost touch with your blog when we lost the computer, but I'm back online and yours was the first place I came to. BOY, did I miss a lot! Have a prosperous year.

    By Blogger Mariana, at 7:59 AM  

  • I don't if it is tacky of me to ask but I found your blog looking for a pattern for an afghan for my bestie's newest baby girl- her name is going to be Irene which means "peace" in greek. This is really a cool afghan and I was wondering if you might share your pattern with me?

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12:28 PM  

  • Hi Sarah!

    I have a sort of graph for the bird design. If you send me your e-mail address I can sent it to you.

    Do you know how to crochet the tunisian, (afghan), stitch? That's how mine was done.

    If you can't do that, you could single crochet it. Or you could simply cross stitch the pattern onto something.

    ~Becky~

    By Blogger Becky, at 8:29 AM  

  • I have done the tunisian stitch once before. I'd love to give it a try again. Thank you! :) My email address is- michaelandsarahcain@gmail.com

    I appreciate you sharing :)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home