beck's blog

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Beatnik Cats Duffle Bag / Backpack

I was able to grab my son and get him to model my Beatnik Cats bag today. YAY!
(Click on the photos to make them larger).






I used a "Beatnik" logo which was for a stereo sound system, (I think that's what it was). I thought the way they made the word Beatnik look so stylized was terrific. It almost looks like graffitti.
(That's supposed to be a microphone up near the cat's face and I tried to make the curl of his tail like a cymbal). The "B" is like a base instrument.

I used glow-in-the-dark yarn for the cat's eyes and the word "Cats" which is sort of overtop the word beatnik. I hope it's readable. Oh well. Graffitti is supposed to be difficult to make out, right?






Here he is demonstrating how it closes. Just pull the two rope ends and it cinches together like a laundry duffle bag. I strung some colored wooden beads on the ends of the rope.







This is the other side. The stripes are actually a dark purple and cream. The straps are also in the stripe pattern. It reminded me of those kind of striped shirts beatniks would wear.






Here's a great photo from about 1965 with Cher, Sonny, and Bob Dylan. Sonny's got on one of those striped shirts. (Along with a very hairy jacket/coat). LOL!!!

Like, cool, Daddy-o!

5 Comments:

  • I was looking at the knitpro website and I saw your Snape afghan/blanket. How did you get a picture like that, all black and white? If you found it, how did you find it and are there others like it of other people?

    By Blogger spiritualwitch, at 9:16 AM  

  • Hi spiritualwitch!

    That Snape picture was an icon I found on one of the Harry Potter sites a million years ago.
    I took the icon and graphed it at knitpro and made the afghan from it.

    http://www.geocities.com/quibblerscribbler/graph_snape.html

    The above link is a page I have made in which I posted the icon at the top, then a photo of the graph I made, and finally a photo of the afghan.

    I blacked out the word "cunning" before I graphed the photo.

    I don't know if whoever made the icon made any more of other people or not.

    By Blogger Becky, at 9:40 AM  

  • fantastic Snape blanket.
    love it!!!

    By Blogger Taker Of Many Notes, at 4:26 AM  

  • I absolutely love everything you do! You are so talented but do you ever sleep?!
    Loving this Beatnik Cat bag the most right now. Are you gonna sell this pattern?
    Keep up the good work. I check in here OFTEN to see your new treasures. It's the only place that truely amazes me.
    Mariana

    By Blogger Mariana, at 10:42 AM  

  • The beatnik cats are great, and your Jesus afghan posted on craftster is amazing! I wanted to leave a message there but couldn't figure out how - I'm a techno peasant.

    By Blogger Hooked by Joy, at 4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home