beck's blog

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Yellow Sub/Pepperland Peace/Beatles/Apple Afghan

I had no idea how to title this afghan. LOL!
I wanted to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the Beatles' Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album.
Yes, 40 years!!! It was released on June 1, 1967.
And there was NO WAY I was going to be able to do that album cover with a million people on it, LOL!!






(Click on the pictures for enlargement of the photos). The sun was so bright today I had a hard time looking through the camera lens to see how much of the afghan I had in the photo. Sorry about that.






Sooooo, I decided to do the Yellow Submarine, (which, if you've seen the movie), involves the Beatles traveling to Pepperland to rescue Sergeant Pepper's Band who all seem to be trapped in a very large bubble created by the evil Blue Meanies. (Oh, it's a long story). LOL!!






I wish I had noticed that the apple part needed to be smoothed down so you could read it more clearly. It really does lie nice and flat and is quite legible.





It's an animated movie and quite stunning visually with awesome colors. I wanted to use those colors in the afghan. I tried to create the look of Pepperland. I also put a green apple on it which the evil Applebonkers would drop down on people. (Also, of course, the Beatle's record lable too). I wanted the movie's main message of love and peace to be the focus of the afghan. The sun is up in the sky. The submarine is in the Sea of Green. Oh, it's just all so groovy, isn't it? LOL!!!!

I used Sinfonia yarn by Omega. It's 100% cotton and extremely thin yarn, (almost like thread). So this afghan is actually quite heavy but very soft. The yellow is the only yarn that is not Sinfonia. It is a thick-to-thin threalike yarn called Nancy which someone sent me in a swap. It says it's made in Switzerland. So, wherever there's yellow, you see the textured look.

I used an H size cabled hook which worked great. And three graphs!!! One for the submarine, one for the peace sign, and one for the apple with the Beatles word on it. So I had to space them out so I didn't have to work two graphs at one time because I think I would have been ready for the loony bin if I had. LOL!!






Here's the back. I couldn't even get that centered in the photo properly. LOL!!

I hope you like this one. I really do. It has a psychedellic poster look to it. I wonder what it would look like under a black light. Probably only the white things would really pop out at you, (or at least look purple-ish), like the peace symbol.
I don't know about you, but I'm tired of fighting Blue Meanies!

4 Comments:

  • Oh, this is really clever! And it's made me want to watch the movie again. :)

    By Blogger Jennifer Duncan, at 1:03 PM  

  • Oh wow, so cool! I'll have to show my brother...he'll want one!

    By Blogger The Little Writer, at 9:51 PM  

  • Ooh, this is mind-bogglingly cool! I love Yellow Submarine, but who knew it would translate so well to afghan form? ^_~

    By Blogger Marisa, at 7:18 AM  

  • That blanket is amazing! Yellow Submarine is the song my little sister has decreed to be "our sister song". She would flip for that thing.

    By Blogger Just A Knit Wit, at 7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home