beck's blog

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Jesus Is Just Alright With Me, Jesus Is Just Alright - Oh Yeah! - Afghan






My version of a portrait of Jesus Christ


(Images are clickable for enlargement)

I started this on Easter and finished it yesterday. I ran out and took pics before the rain came.

My hubby had been asking me to do a Jesus afghan. I'd been keeping my eye open for a really good picture to use. I finally found a web site here which was very interesting. It's about the Fibonacci Numbers system in Nature. "(The sequence, in which each number is the sum of the two preceding numbers is known as the Fibonacci series: 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144, 233, 377, 610, 987, 1597, 2584, 4181, ... (each number is the sum of the previous two)."

And the website goes on to show different things in nature which use or have this particular number sequence in them, (such as shells), and of which we find pleasing to the eye.

Then it talked about the human face and how a graphed mask designed by a former plastic surgeon, Dr. Stephen Marquardt, was created using

"the golden section", (The ratio of successive pairs tends to the so-called golden section
(GS) - 1.618033989 . . . . . whose reciprocal is 0.618033989 . . . . . so that we have 1/GS = 1 + GS),
(don't ask me what all that means I have no idea; I'm just a mom from Indiana. LOL!!),

that enigmatic number that has long stood for beauty, and some of its relatives to make a mask that he claims is the most beautiful shape a human face can have.

There was a link to this portrait of Jesus here with this explaination of the portrait. "An artist's impression of the face of Jesus
based on the Shroud of Turin and corrected
to match Dr. Stephen Marquardt's mask."

So, ANYWAY, before I bore you-all to death, that is the picture I used to create the afghan.






It doesn't matter where you stand, the Jesus picture will be looking at you. This shot was taken from the side.

I used a size J cabled hook.
The yarn I used was the same kind as I used in my Purple Squishy afghan, that is TLC's Amore yarn in Celery and Dark Sage and Red Heart's version of the same type of yarn in black.
The yarn is very crinkly and has the feel of terry cloth.
The whites of the eyes are not the same type of yarn, however. For that I used the same Fashion Knit off-white yarn I used in Dobby's afghan.

This afghan was very hard for me. There were so many color changes and the yarn was difficult to work with for the tunisian stitch.







Once again is a front shot and then a back shot too.

Oh, and thanks to the Doobie Brothers for letting me borrow a line from one of their songs for the afghan's title.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home