beck's blog

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Yop! We Are Here! Afghan

I'm late. I wanted to finish this in time for Dr. Seuss' birthday, (March 2nd, 1904). But better a week late than never so here goes...




(Click on photo for enlargement).
It needs some explaining for those of you unfamiliar with Dr. Seuss books.

It represents a pivotal moment in a book by Dr. Seuss called "Horton Hears a Who".

In the book Horton, (an elephant), stumbles upon what he thinks is only a speck of dust; only to find it is actually a whole other world full of people, (Whos).








The turquoise in my afghan represents the "dust speck", (planet); the orange is the outside world, (Horton's world).
I chose these colors because they were popular colors used by Dr. Seuss in his many books.

When the Whoville scientist searches high and low for more people to make a sound so that their world doesn't end up boiled in a soup, he finds little Jojo, (the quiet child not making a sound, but simply playing with his yo-yo), and pleads with him to make a sound. Any sound. To be heard.

The word "Yop!" is the word spoken by little Jojo.

The words "We are here!" are shouts by the other Whos who finally get heard in Horton's world thanks to Jojo's tiny voice.

I love this book. It's one of my many favorite books by Dr. Seuss. It's the book you want to read and reread with your kids to show them that one person's voice does matter. One person can make a difference. (Be he Jojo or Horton.) And that we don't need ears as big as Horton's to hear the cries of help from people. We just need to listen better.

When I designed this afghan, I had to download a Seuss font first. (Yes, there is a Seuss font!) Then I made the picture in my "pictures" section on my laptop. When my laptop completely failed last year, I thought this was lost. But I have recently begun finding a lot of things that were and are still stored inside the laptop. I downloaded the graph and started working on it. I didn't want to lose it again.

I think Dr. Seuss, (Theodor Seuss Geisel), was a genius and a fantastic author/artist, (no matter how controversial). (How many people can we not find fault with now-a-days?) I know he helped me to read. I think Green Eggs and Ham was the first book I ever read. I also love The Lorax book and many, many others.

This afghan can be interpreted by anyone to mean anything they choose, (just like the story itself).

As for me; I hear Whos all the time. (They are all around us, really).
I am the little child in the room not making a sound. (I am probably crocheting something.)
I guess this afghan is my "Yop!"

Look out world!
I have yarn and a hook, and I'm not afraid to use them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home