beck's blog

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Dobby Afghan

Many people requested to see a house-elf doll or afghan. So, heeeeeeere's Dobby...
(Images are clickable for enlargement).






It reads:

"Dobby is used to death threats, sir. Dobby gets them 5 times a day at home." JKR

I have no idea who originally drew this picture of Dobby. I found it at a stencil site and I've looked and looked for it's original source but found nothing. I don't think it was made from a photo of dobby from the movie. If it was, they sure did a great job. Anyway, if anyone knows who made this drawing of Dobby to begin with, just send me the info so I can give them credit for drawing it. (My e-mail address link is at the bottom of this blog).

Dobby looks so sad in this picture I knew I couldn't use the quote when he receives Harry's sock from Lucius Malfoy and shouts, "Dobby is free!"
It was going to have to be a sad thing that Dobby said, (and I think this was the most poignant thing he's ever said too), (for me anyway.) I know I must bore you all with my occasional serious side to some things, but I'll just say that when I read the quote the first time; it made me think of a child living in an abusive home. It's something an abused child would also say if they could speak the words.






Here's a front and a back shot of the afghan.

I used my cabled J hook again. The portraits are smaller and the stitches are tighter.

Yarn used was Caron dark purple, Red Heart medium purple, and a yarn called Fashion Knit by tma yarns which actually has been treated with aloe to "soothe your hands as you knit". (Well, I don't know if that helped my hands at all, but I liked the color.) It's called off white but it's more like cream and it looks really nice with the purples. Oh! and the eyes are a Red Heart green. (I checked in the book Chamber of Secrets to make sure, and his eyes are definately green.)







The afghan measures 40" X 30". It would be easy to mount to a board and hung as a portrait.
Hope you enjoyed it!
I'm really looking forward to July for the next movie and, most importantly, the last book!!
I'll probably be a basket-case before and after I read it!

edit: Oh, this is so funny! Happiness, (that is her username), over at Crochetville noticed that the "r" in the word threats is missing! I'm going to fix that straight away. Did anyone else notice? Sometimes, just like Neville, you have to stand up face-to-face with your friends and tell them they are wrong! Thanks so much to Happiness for setting me straight!

11 Comments:

  • Amazing as usual, Becky! Would you mind if I post it the Leaky Crafts Gallery?

    Jennifer

    By Blogger Jennifer Ofenstein, at 11:58 AM  

  • Oh, sure you can, Jen! Please make sure it's the corrected photo with the "r" in the word threats. Thanks!

    By Blogger Becky, at 4:44 PM  

  • That is simply wonderful. I have been looking for a Dobby type project that is useful. I may have to do something similar. You have certainly inspired me.

    Great job!

    By Blogger Tab, at 10:18 AM  

  • That is just amazing! Any chance of a pattern? Either way, I raise my glass to you in a toast!
    NUN

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5:34 AM  

  • That is truly an amazing peice of art! Brava!

    By Blogger MaryBeth, at 9:16 PM  

  • HOLY CRAP, THIS IS SPECTACULAR!!! thanks for sharing!

    By Blogger pamela wynne, at 9:07 AM  

  • Wow! I'm just awed by that afghan.. and wishing I knew how to make something like that!

    By Blogger Michelle, at 3:33 PM  

  • WOW!!! That is totally awesome. I just love it. My litle sister and mother, each now want one. Your skills are out of this world. Just last night I was showing this guys some things that I have made and he said that he was blown away. Well, that because he has not seen your stuff. Keep up the wonderful work. Yo are truly talented.

    By Blogger Christina B., at 3:40 PM  

  • WOW! This looks fantastic!

    By Blogger roseygirl, at 10:35 PM  

  • I can't believe how amazing that looks! You have SO SO SO much talent to not only design, but to have your project turn out PERFECT! I wish I had half your talent!!!!

    By Blogger Marcia Fiedorowicz, at 8:09 AM  

  • You are incredible! I am SO impressed by your projects.

    By Blogger Marg B, at 5:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home