beck's blog

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Arrrgyle Afghan

Yay!! The sun is out and I finally got to take pics of my super pirate blanket!!!!

For the Captain Jack Sparrow in your life...



It's from a knitter's blog in which she designed an argyle, (or shoud I say Arrrgyle?), sock pattern.
Here's a link to her pattern...

Moth Heaven



I first made just one square. It's the lower left one. I realized this needed to be made with many more squares to get the argyle affect.



While taking these pictures, it suddenly hit me that I should have made 15 skulls. Then I could have sung "15 Men on a Dead Man's Chest" or something really cool, but, oh well. LOL!!!!



My son is about 5'10 and here he is with the blanket around himself. It's approximately 52 inches wide by 60 inches long.



For the top and bottom trim pattern, I used the Mosaic Pattern from the back of an old yarn package. Here's a link to that pattern...

Mosaic Tote Pattern






I ran out of the one gray and it was a discontinued yarn color so I had to make do with what I had. I don't really mind it. There is so much going on in this blanket I don't think it matters too much.






Here's the back. As I was working on this, I did haul it outside to take pictures of it while I used the cable hook. Most of the photos turned out blurry though, I was too close to the project. But I could still upload those pics if anyone's interested.

This was a very difficult project as there were many many color changes throughout. I would recommend you start by trying just the one graph and see if you can handle it. Tripling the graph both height and width was absoloutely mind-scrambling and I put it down three or four times for about a month in between because I just got so tired of working on it. But I do love it very much. I need to write that lady and thank her for this fabulous graph. I will put the link in my right sidebar too.

I have two more skull projects I need to post before Halloween comes. They are really cool and I hope you will like them too. But now I am ahead of myself. I must go have some hot rum drink and curl up with this Arrrgyle blanket. :o)

10 Comments:

  • Very, very cool! I don't dare let my 12-year-old see these pictures ...

    By Blogger Ruth, at 9:56 AM  

  • That is a completely, utterly, totally, enviably, seriously fabulous blanket. Great Job. I can't even work up the argylish nerve to make the damn socks.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:36 AM  

  • Your blanket is awesome!!! I *like* the different shades of gray in it. :-)

    By Blogger Laura, at 10:36 AM  

  • What a fabulous blanket! what yarn did you use?

    By Blogger May, at 10:45 AM  

  • This is the coolest thing ever. Awesome awesome awesome.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:08 AM  

  • Way to build on an idea! Who knew an arrrgyle sock could grow up to be an afghan? Nice job!

    By Blogger Gigi, at 3:07 PM  

  • oh my goodness.
    I need one :)
    Well done!

    By Blogger Stephanie, at 6:14 PM  

  • I love the pirate blanket. It is very very cool

    By Blogger RooKnits, at 1:39 AM  

  • Thanks for all the nice comments! You-all are so kind! :o)

    may yan asked what yarn I used.

    The two reds and white are Caron one-pounders, the black is one pound Red Heart (I used two of them I think), and the greys were a steel grey Sayelle which was discontinued and a Bernat dark grey. I think there's a bit of Simply Soft grey in there too.

    I like to use Caron and Red Heart for tunisian afghan stitch because they're firm, don't split, and the hook doesn't catch up on anything. When your done, if you wash it, just use fabric softener each time and it will soften up and be less stiff and comfortably soft.

    By Blogger Becky, at 6:24 AM  

  • That is just truely amazing. You have my utmost respect for your skill and patience.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home