beck's blog

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Flag Bags






Well this all started because I had so much red, white, and blue yarn left over from my last project. What to do with it,.....hmmmmmm......I had some flag graphs and I thought the Canadian one was small and would be easy to do.

I got it at http://www.planetshoup.com/easy/holiday/canchrt1.shtml

So I set to work and made a Canadian flag, (or at least what I hoped would pass for one. Graphs aren't exactly proportionate. At least mine never are.) Well, once it was done I thought, now what do I make with this? What else? Another bag. All I need is to make another one and sew them together.

So that's what I did.






This is the front. (I added a Canada keychain that a friend had sent me. (Thanks again Leah!)






The back. The same but without the keychain.






Here's a shot where I tried to show the crocheted chain ties I made to close it.

Next I thought I could tackle the U.S. flag. I wanted to make sure and do all the stripes. I know with some projects it just isn't possible to make the whole thing exactly as it is. But I wanted to try. I had to make my own graph on graphpaper for this one. It was hard and, again, not perfect.






I knew I would never be able to make the stars so the upper left is simply all blue sewn with these absolutely adorable white plastic beads I got at Hobby Lobby. (48 to a pack. Aaaaaaaarrrrrgggg! I had to buy three bags instead of only two. LOL!!!!)






Front and back are exactly the same.






Also has the crocheted ties for closure.

Onto the Union Jack. I really thought I could handle this. I thought I knew how this flag was supposed to go. Well, I was wrong.....






First off I'd like to apologize to all you U.K.ers out there. I realize, (now), that your upper right red diagonal stripe should be moved over about one-two stitches to the left, (as well as the lower left red diagonal stripe moved to the right 2 stitches.) (I think that's right). I sincerely apologize. I have since changed the graph I originally made to reflect this.

However, there's no way I'm going to redo this bag. It was soooooooooooooooooo hard to make. (Well, ok, not that hard). LOL! But still.

Also, I made it more into a square shape, so it was never going to be exact. But I hope you all forgive me. I still love the bag!






Again the back, same as the front. This had to be a lot bigger and it will be a fabulous yarn tote for my projects.






I tried to take group shots so you could see the size differences.






Oh, yes! I also made my 911 into a bag as well. What good is something if no one gets to see it, right?

Since I already had the one side, I only needed to make another. But I wanted it to be different.






So I made up a U.S. Betsy Ross flag using the leftover stars from the third pkg. I had to buy. You only need 13 stars in a circle. (It represents the original 13 colonies).






Here's the front all done with the strap attached and all.











Here I just stacked them all smallest to largest. I know the right side of the circle is a bit off but at least I'm consistant in my inconsistancies!!!!!!

Hope you like the bags. I still have some red white and blue left, hmmmm, let's see. There's the new Russian flag,..... France,.....the Netherlands,......

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home