beck's blog

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Out-Of-My-Skull Sweater/Jacket






I've been working on this for a few months now and finally got out to take pictures. My son took the shots and I modeled this time.....BLAH! (I had to because I made it in my size and it didn't fit right on my skinny, son! LOL!!)

So, here we go.....






Here's the back. I used a FABULOUS skull graph from this site....

domiknitrix.com

I see she is offering her graph right now for a limited time so, if you are into skulls, grab this graph before it's taken down!!!









The front (with my head skillfully cropped off.) (See the "Why You Shouldn't Post Your Picture..." link on this site). LOL!


















I added toggles as buttons to close it, (but I found it's easier to just slip it on over your head to put on.) I wanted it to have a "biker-jacket" look.









I wanted the sleeves to look like a skeleton's arms. Did you get that impression? I hope so. I wanted it to look like a skeleton wearing a black sleeveless vest.















I did a double crochet completely around for the whole sleeves. Then, I surface-crocheted a second layer of double crochet so the sleeves would be nice, thick, and as warm as the jacket.



















The black part of the jacket doesn't show the basketweave stitch very well. The sun would not come out fully and my flash on the camera doesn't work. But, anyway, after I made the skull graph design; I did the basketweave stitch for the sides and front in black. It's sooooooooo thick, heavy and warm. You really could use this as a biker jacket.

Now go get the graph pattern!!!! (And thank you very much to Jen who made the graph and offeres it for free!)


2 Comments:

  • Hi crochet mom! I don't have a pattern for it. I just sort of winged it. I knew what shape I wanted, (a sort of V-necked vest look - but which would open like a jacket). I started at the top of the back, and went across the shoulder to the front and down for each side. The sleeves were added last.
    Hope that helps!

    By Blogger Becky, at 5:09 AM  

  • Gorgeous!!! I love that so much. Thanks for linking to the chart it is one of the best skull charts I have seen! I love it! Great job!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home