beck's blog

Friday, June 03, 2011

No Wedding Saturday Within The Month Of June...

Photobucket

(Please click on the photos to enlarge them).

Nope. Not in June.
But actually on a day that some folks believed would be the beginning of the end of the world.
May 21, 2011.

This is the day my son was married.

Not in Westminster Abbey in front of a crowd of 1900 or so, like William and Kate.
Just a beautiful ceremony in a garden outside the landmark cottage of Stone Head in Nashville, Indiana.

It was an awesome day and, frankly, if the world was beginning to end, I can't think of a better place to be than with all our relatives, friends, and loved ones celebrating a union of two people in love.

Photobucket

The afghan is sort of a 'fairy tale / child's coloring book version of a wedding' theme.
(Their theme was actually video games so I hoped this would work.)

For the stick figures I used a free template offered here. Crafteeguiri's blog. It was designed to be used for cards or stamping but I just uploaded the picture to microrevolt and graphed it.

For the names and date I graphed them at a celtic cross stitch site here. Celticxstitch. I've used their graph generator to create a lot of the words for my projects. It's a great site.

The afghan is crocheted in tunisian afghan stitch using a size J cabled afghan hook.

I used Bernat Baby Coordinates baby yarns which have a sparkly silvery thread running through the yarn in each skein. It's nice, soft, lightweight and also kept up the fairy tale theme. The border was done with a basketweave stitch to look like a rainbow. I tried to get the border in the photos. It's really sweet.

Photobucket

I just free-handed the "Once upon a time... happily ever after." part with a variegated yarn.

Let's see. The guests and relatives have all gone home now, the honeymooners have just returned and are back at their jobs, the world is still spinning on it's axis, and love is all around us.

Life is good!
It's The End Of The World (As We Know It), And I Feel Fine


UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE!

Photobucket

YAY! Here's a photo of the happy couple with the afghan. Thanks, Kristina!

7 Comments:

  • Oh Becky! Thank you so much for sharing this with me! It totally made my day to see my digi made into something so gorgeous!

    Congratulations on welcoming a new daughter to the family! My best wishes to the new couple and may they be blessed with a beautiful and lasting marriage together :)

    Would you mind if I share the photo of the afghan on my blog, linking back to yours?

    Many thanks and have a great weekend!

    By Blogger Shirl, at 9:50 AM  

  • Hi Shirl!

    Thanks for visiting my blog! (I love your avatar up there, did you make that too? So cute!)

    Sure, you can share a photo of the afghan on your site!
    That would be great!

    I love it when people tell me about their projects that they made using something I inspired them with too.

    It's so cool to see the different ways people create things using another's original project idea and making it into something completely unique!

    By Blogger Becky, at 11:35 AM  

  • Oh my gosh...that is the cutest afghan ever!!! You did a GREAT job on it!!!

    By Blogger breakmydreams, at 6:46 AM  

  • THAT was a beautiful post. I wandered in from a link to your projects on Rav. You knit or crochet these? They are amazing! You are so talented, I am in awe. Just wanted to show appreciation for your beautiful work.

    Gina

    By Blogger Tainted Fibers, at 6:45 AM  

  • Or is it cross stitch? Whatever, it's gorgeous.

    By Blogger Tainted Fibers, at 6:46 AM  

  • Hi Gina!

    It's called tunisian crochet, (or afghan crochet).

    It's crocheted using a hook with a plastic 'cable' attached at the end of the hook. This way you can pile on a lot more stitches and make an afghan without flipping it over after each row is completed (like you'd have to do if it were just regular crochet.)

    I did use a yarn needle and some yarn to make the "Once upon a time" words and also for the stripes on his trousers though.

    I'm so glad you liked it!
    Check out the two gallery pages. I've made a lot of afghans. I haven't updated those in forever though. I've made a lot more which are still only posted in my blogs but not added to the gallery yet.

    Some day I will. It's just so hard for me to figure out all the html. (Thank goodness for copying and pasting!) LOL!

    By Blogger Becky, at 6:56 AM  

  • And we loved it:)

    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/OokQw2hChw3ocewY2pEvcDtI2DAVF98A9EsvEo87vx0?feat=directlink

    By Blogger Kristina Kelly, at 2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home