beck's blog

Friday, June 24, 2011

Filet Crochet Carriage or Crib Cover - Baby Animals

I've been working on a filet crocheted crib cover for a while now.
I've never really done a large filet project. Only a few small things. So this was a challenge for me.

It all started because I found this really great-looking pattern on etsy and I had to get it.

It was an old filet graph pattern that looks like a Laura Wheeler / Alice Brooks type. (Although there is no mention of their names on the pattern). The pattern is simply called Design 915. There's no date either. It just says printed in U.S.A. at the bottom. (Even though I purchased this from a Canadian lady on etsy).

I think it was a pattern you ordered through the mail and looks to be around the 1940's or 1950's, (just guessing here by the style of the baby animals).

ANYWAY, here's a photo of the pattern taken by the etsy shop owner from whom I ordered the pattern.

Photobucket

And this is the finished crib cover. (Please click on the photos to enlarge them).

Photobucket

This is the back, (even though it is the same as the front except you can see the joining seams where I connected the six filet squares).

Photobucket

I used size 10 crochet DMC Cebelia crochet thread. Six colors and I had to order two skeins, (or are they called balls?), of each color in order to finish each square. So that's 12 skeins/balls. Plus two pastel rainbow skeins/balls of South Maid size 10 thread.
Also a steel Boye size 7 1.65mm crochet hook.

I had major cramping and numbness in my right hand from using such a small hook and I could only do a little at a time.
I don't know how you ladies do it who can crochet amazing things in thread crochet for so long!

I know you're supposed to "block" this type of crochet but I haven't done that.
I probably should have done that to each square prior to attaching them all and putting on the border. Ah well.

I love the vintage look of these critters. They sure don't make designs like this anymore. What a shame.

I'll end this post with a song. Hmmm, let's see.... I know!

Bless The Beasts And The Children by The Carpenters.

6 Comments:

  • Amazing! I've never seen anything like that before! Looks like very intense small detail work!
    Are you saving that for a future Grandbaby someday??!!

    By Blogger CC, at 5:39 AM  

  • Amazing work :) I haven't seen anything like that before...

    By Blogger breakmydreams, at 8:43 AM  

  • Hi there,
    I love your blog and all your unusual pop art afghans. I bought design 7577 in this cot carriage cover series and I was wondering if you could tell me how large your version turned out? I picked a size 1.5cm hook as a size 8 and I'm working with crochet thread size 10. My guage was much bigger than the design but this is my first filet crochet and I think if I go any smaller my hands will fall off! I love this design you have but I can't find a copy anywhere. This is where I got my copy of design 7577 and it is a photocopy so the seller may relist. I was having a look through all your blog posts and I'm amazed at the unusual designs you've found and your amazing output too, wow!

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200647196193

    By Blogger Yvonne, at 12:29 PM  

  • Hi,

    can you send me the pattern please?

    I would like to make for my baby, and i can't buy because i'm in switzerland.

    My email: sonia81@hotmail.ch

    Thanks for the response.

    By Blogger sonia, at 2:20 PM  

  • Hi, very beautiful. I have a picture of my husband when he was a new born, laying on this same pattern blanket. It was his christening blanket. Many many years ago. His grandma made it for him. Years ago the blanket was lost. I was wondering if you know how I could get a copy of the pattern. I would like to make it. Thank you

    Thank you
    Sharon.

    shazah1012@yahoo.com

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3:25 PM  

  • Hi Beck....I see this is an old post...not sure if you still do this blog. I have spent literally HOURS trying to find the elusive "Design 915" of the baby animals on the crib cover. If you ever see this comment, can you share the pattern with me? I have looked on so many web sites. I've looked on e-bay. I would really love to try it. I'm so in love with it. Thank you in advance and here's to hoping you see the message :)

    By Blogger PiaPet, at 10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home