beck's blog

Monday, October 30, 2006

Skull Purse and Fingerless Gloves

Just in time for Halloween; a tunisian-stitched skull purse and fingerless gloves to match. (Images are clickable for enlargement).

The front and back of the purse are exactly the same. I just made the graph twice and sewed the two squares together. Along the top I did a basketweave stitch and joined the bag to the handles. I like how the wooden beads of the handle kind of sound like bones clicking together when holding it.

I used two different graphs for these. The purse graph is from here...

and the fingerless gloves graph is from here.....

I had the hardest time taking pictures of myself in the gloves.

This is a shot of the front and back of the gloves. I just made the graph, joined the two ends together, then single crocheted around the bottom and top. I continued around the top, made a chain from front to back through my thumb, then worked more single crochets until I liked the length.

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Arrrgyle Afghan

Yay!! The sun is out and I finally got to take pics of my super pirate blanket!!!!

For the Captain Jack Sparrow in your life...

It's from a knitter's blog in which she designed an argyle, (or shoud I say Arrrgyle?), sock pattern.
Here's a link to her pattern...

Moth Heaven

I first made just one square. It's the lower left one. I realized this needed to be made with many more squares to get the argyle affect.

While taking these pictures, it suddenly hit me that I should have made 15 skulls. Then I could have sung "15 Men on a Dead Man's Chest" or something really cool, but, oh well. LOL!!!!

My son is about 5'10 and here he is with the blanket around himself. It's approximately 52 inches wide by 60 inches long.

For the top and bottom trim pattern, I used the Mosaic Pattern from the back of an old yarn package. Here's a link to that pattern...

Mosaic Tote Pattern

I ran out of the one gray and it was a discontinued yarn color so I had to make do with what I had. I don't really mind it. There is so much going on in this blanket I don't think it matters too much.

Here's the back. As I was working on this, I did haul it outside to take pictures of it while I used the cable hook. Most of the photos turned out blurry though, I was too close to the project. But I could still upload those pics if anyone's interested.

This was a very difficult project as there were many many color changes throughout. I would recommend you start by trying just the one graph and see if you can handle it. Tripling the graph both height and width was absoloutely mind-scrambling and I put it down three or four times for about a month in between because I just got so tired of working on it. But I do love it very much. I need to write that lady and thank her for this fabulous graph. I will put the link in my right sidebar too.

I have two more skull projects I need to post before Halloween comes. They are really cool and I hope you will like them too. But now I am ahead of myself. I must go have some hot rum drink and curl up with this Arrrgyle blanket. :o)